Piano insurance

Protecting pianos for over 20 years

Insurance for pianos from musicGuard

Protection for your piano

Protect your piano with our specialist musical instrument insurance. We understand how important your piano is to you, whether you’re a professional musician or simply enjoy playing as a hobby. That’s why our cover is designed to protect you from theft, accidental damage and more.

Over 20 years of insurance to UK photographers

Over 20 years of Guardcover, supporting your passion

Why protect your piano with musicGuard?

See what our specialist cover can offer musicians and their pianos at musicGuard

20 Years of Experience

We know what it takes to protect the things that matter to you.

Quick and Simple

We've made it quick and easy to get a quote in seconds.

0% Monthly Payment

Spread your payments across the year at no extra cost.

UK Customer Service

Our customer service team is ready to help you with all your questions.

Online Account

Your online account is an easy way to access and manage your policies 24/7.

Specialist Insurance

Cover for all types of musicians from teaching, rehearsing or performing live.

Specialist piano insurance from musicGuard

What am I covered for?

  • Theft and Accidental Damage

    What happens if your piano is damaged?

    If your piano is stolen from your home or suffers damage, musicGuard is there to help. Our cover includes theft and accidental damage, vandalism, attempted theft and fire damage for pianos up to £50,000 in value. Security requirements apply.

  • New for Old Cover

    How can we replace your piano?

    We understand what your instrument means to you, which is why we offer genuine new for old replacement, and we don’t depreciate the value of your piano when you make a claim.

  • Cover Abroad

    Playing overseas?

    Music can take you anywhere, so why stay in one place? We automatically include UK-wide cover and up to 30 days of worldwide cover for your insured piano.

  • In-Vehicle Cover

    Is your piano covered while its in your car?

    Keep your piano safe when you're on the road. We automatically include In-Vehicle Cover and up to £300 cover for damage caused to your vehicle at the same time as the theft or attempted theft of your insured equipment. Storage and vehicle security requirements apply.

  • Loss of Earnings

    How can we support you?

    If you’ve had an accident that's keeping you from performing, then you shouldn't have to be out of pocket. We can offer up to £800 to cover the loss of your music-related earnings as a musician. Cover only applies to pre-booked music related earnings.

  • £2,000 Equipment Hire

    What if you need to hire a piano?

    If you’re making a claim with us but still need a replacement piano, then don’t worry. It’s covered as part of our claims service, with up to £2,000 of piano hire available if you need it. Cover applies in the UK, with up to £250 claims hire cover abroad available with our Global Travel option.

Overhead view of black grand piano on isolated background

Optional extras for your pianos

Global Travel - If you are playing abroad, then you can extend your policy to include 365 days of worldwide cover and £250 claims equipment hire. Proof of hire required.

£5m or £10m Public Liability - You can increase your liability cover to either £5m or £10m and choose to extend the cover to include up to four partners who work alongside and support. Excludes North America.

Mechanical Breakdown - Covers repair costs to electrical gear (less than five years old) that breaks down outside of its warranty, so you’re not left empty-handed for your next set. Excludes computing equipment.

Find out what's covered with musicGuard

What musical instruments are covered with musicGuard?

Frequently asked questions about keyboards

Want to find out more about our piano cover? 

If you’re wondering what our piano insurance includes, then we’ve answered a few questions for you here!

  • Cover
  • Security
  • Travel
  • Is the piano an easy instrument to learn?

    Learning the piano can be challenging at first, but with consistent practice and dedication, it can be a very rewarding experience. While it may take some time to develop the necessary skills and techniques, anyone can learn to play the piano with the right guidance and a commitment to practice. With its wide range of musical possibilities, the piano is a versatile and fulfilling instrument to learn.

  • How many keys are on a piano?

    A standard piano typically has 88 keys, with 52 white keys and 36 black keys. The keys are arranged in repeating groups of 12, consisting of seven white keys and five black keys, with the pattern of two black keys followed by three black keys repeating across the keyboard. The number of keys on a piano is an important aspect of its design, as it determines the instrument's range and ability to play a wide variety of musical styles.

  • What are the three types of piano?

    There are three main types of piano: grand, upright, and digital. Grand pianos are the largest and most traditional type, with a long, horizontal soundboard and strings that extend vertically. Upright pianos are more compact and have a vertical soundboard, making them a popular choice for homes and smaller spaces. Digital pianos use technology to replicate the sound and feel of an acoustic piano, making them a versatile and portable option for musicians. Each type of piano has its own unique characteristics and advantages, making it important to choose the right one for your needs.

  • What is Public Liability insurance?

    Public Liability (also referred to as personal liability or Third Party Liability) provides cover for any music-related legal liability that results in an injury to someone or damage to their property and where you are held liable.

    For more information on our Public Liability cover for musicians and what Public Liability cover can protect you against, you can consult our policy wording here.

  • Do I need Public Liability insurance before I start playing gigs?

    Many venue owners may require musicians to have Public Liability insurance before they can play gigs. Public Liability insurance can cover you if you were to hurt someone or damage their property while you’re performing and for which you are then held liable.

  • What’s the difference between a piano and a keyboard?

    The main difference between a piano and a keyboard is their design and functionality. A piano is a large, acoustic instrument with a weighted keyboard and hammers that strike strings to produce sound. A keyboard, on the other hand, is an electronic instrument that uses digital technology to produce sound. Keyboards are often smaller and more portable than pianos, and they may have a variety of features such as built-in speakers, sound effects, and different instrument sounds. While both instruments can be used to play music, they have distinct differences that make them suitable for different purposes.

  • Do you cover mobile or smart phones?

    Unfortunately, we are unable to cover any mobile or smart phones on our music insurance.

  • Can I get insurance for a one-off event or just for a few days or weeks?

    Our musical insurance is provided on an annual basis, we do not offer any cover on a short term or temporary basis.

  • How do you determine a like for like basis, should the item not be repairable?

    Any offer we make to you will be determined by the features and specification of the insured item claimed for. This is based on the current market equivalent for products of a similar quality and specification and not the original cost of the item.

  • If I choose the Mechanical Breakdown option, is all of my equipment covered?

    Our Mechanical Breakdown option provides cover for repair costs to electrical instruments and equipment that you purchased from new, are no more than five years old and are outside of any other warranty. Unfortunately, we are unable to cover laptops, tablets, desktop computing equipment and related accessories with this cover option.

  • What value should I insure my instruments for?

    For items that can be readily replaced with a new one (or with a similar model), the value should be the usual, undiscounted cost including VAT from a reputable retailer at the time you apply.

  • Can I get cover for any music-related Loss of Earnings?

    Yes, our policy can cover pre-booked music related loss of earnings that are as a direct result of bodily injury caused by an accident that prevents you from attending either: your music-related profession, events, or any lessons.

    We can cover up to £800 or 75% of pre-booked music-related events that you are no longer able to attend. Please refer to your policy wording for full terms and conditions.

  • What is the minimum / maximum age to get cover?

    The minimum age for the main policyholder is 18. Public Liability and Personal Accident cover (if you have chosen to include this on your policy) will only apply to anyone aged 16 or over at the time of any incident, and total permanent disablement cover is only available for anyone aged 65 or under.

  • Can you cover two addresses on the one policy?

    If you need to cover your instruments at more than one address, please call our contact centre on: 0333 004 3888

    We can then look to update the policy accordingly dependent on the policy and security requirements.

  • Can I set up a policy on behalf of someone else?

    As the insurance policy is a legal agreement between us and the policyholder, we can only set up a policy with the person who will be named as the policyholder.

  • How can I pay for my policy?

    You can choose to pay in full by credit or debit card. Alternatively, you can take advantage of our interest free monthly payment option and simply spread the payments out, without any additional cost.

  • Can I add or make changes to the policy at any time?

    Yes, you can make changes to your policy by simply logging in to your online account here, or by getting in touch with our contact centre by either:

    You can add or delete insured items and change some aspects of your policy. Note that additions will incur additional costs. Additional premiums are charged on a pro rata basis from the date of change. Any cover options that you choose can only be added or removed when you first buy the policy or at renewal.

  • Is there an excess on this policy?

    All insured items claims are subject to the following excess unless otherwise stated on your insurance schedule:

    • Cover for Insured Items - Excess payable = £75
    • Mechanical Breakdown for Insured Items - Excess payable = £75
    • Public Liability Property Claims - Excess payable = £500
    • Public Liability Injury Claims - Excess payable = Nil

    For Public Liability claims, the first £500 of each claim arising from damage to third party property.

  • I have previously made a claim. Will this affect my cover?

    You need to tell us about any music related losses or claims you have had within the last three years whether insured or not. It is important that you make an honest disclosure of any previous claims or losses, as if not this could invalidate your cover.

  • Are there any security requirements for my vehicle or where my instruments are kept?

    At your insured location (This is where your instruments are usually kept and should also be your main place of residence or your music business premises or studio): For cover to apply while your instruments are at your insured location, the insured items must be kept within the main structures (must be brick or stone built) of your insured location and all normal security protections are in force.

    Cover in an unattended vehicle: Theft or attempted theft from a vehicle will only be covered if your insured item is stored out of sight, in an enclosed storage compartment, boot or luggage space. All vehicle doors and windows must be closed and securely locked, and all vehicle security systems activated.

    All insured items need to be removed and stored inside your insured location when your vehicle is at your insured location. In-vehicle cover does not apply when the vehicle is at your insured location.

    Accidental damage that occurs in a vehicle is only covered if the insured item is in a purpose-designed equipment case. If your musical instruments are in transit with an airline transport provider, see the FAQ relating to airline cover.

    For any theft claims, whether at your insured location, storage location or from a vehicle, you need to report the incident to the police and there must be evidence of forcible and/or violent entry or evidence of unauthorised access.

  • Am I covered to take my instruments abroad?

    This depends on the options you choose. Included as standard with your policy, you are covered to take your musical instruments anywhere in the UK and up to 30 days worldwide in total during your period of insurance. If you need more extensive cover, you can choose our Global Travel option, which will extend your worldwide cover for the full policy period.

    Whilst in transit, and under the responsibility of your transport provider, your gear isn’t covered if it is stolen and accidental damage cover only applies if your musical instruments are in a purpose-built storage case.

  • If I’m travelling on an airline with my instruments, am I covered?

    Provided your musical instruments are in a rigid-bodied, purpose designed equipment case, they are covered for accidental damage. We regret that loss of baggage containing your instruments or theft of an insured item whilst under the responsibility of a transport provider is not covered with musicGuard.

Making a claim with musicGuard

We’ve made making a claim so easy

If your music equipment has been stolen or damaged, we know how distressing it can be. That's why we'll do everything possible to deal with your claim promptly. Our easy-to-use claims process is listed below with some helpful information regarding what to do if you need to make a claim.

1. Call the police

If you’ve been the victim of theft or malicious damage, your first port of call should be to inform the police.

2. Contact our claims team

Contact our in-house UK team to make your claim.

You can call us on: 0333 004 1999 to get started, or alternatively, you can email us with details of your claim at: claims@guardcover.co.uk

3. Make your claim

We'll provide you with your claim reference and talk you through the next steps. Should we need any further information to help process your claim, we can explain what's needed and support you.

Your policy document explorer

For customers whose policy started before 1st January 2021, you can access your policy documents here.

Existing customers: If you have an existing policy before September 23rd 2019, then you can contact our team for information on your policy.

You can email us at: support@guardcover.co.uk or call us on: 0333 004 3888

musicGuard customers say this...

We pride ourselves on delivering a personal service to every musician that we help protect. You don't have to take our word for it though, check out some of our independent reviews to see what our customers have to say! If you'd like to leave your opinion, good or bad we encourage you to submit a review too.