Music equipment

What music equipment do we cover?


Specialist music equipment cover from musicGuard

Protection for your musical instruments

Want to know which musical instruments are included in our cover? Whether you’re a performing musician, or just starting out, we understand that you will want to protect your instruments and equipment, so you don't miss a beat.

Brass instruments

Brass instruments

From trumpets to trombones, French horns to saxophones, no matter what type of brass instrument you play, we understand that you'll want to keep your instrument looking as good as it sounds. However, sometimes that’s easier said than done, especially if you are on the move or touring. If you're a member of a brass band or you travel the world playing in an orchestra, our insurance can help keep you protected.

DJ equipment

DJ equipment

Are you a dorm-room DJ, or are you spinning the decks for a living? It doesn't matter if you're mixing as a hobby, or if you're out preforming as a professional, we know how expensive DJ equipment can be to replace. That's why at musicGuard, our policies include cover such as, Equipment Hire, New for Old Cover, Loss of Earnings and more, so you don't miss out on your next gig. Read about our cover to find out which will suit your DJing needs.

String instruments

String instruments

If you’re travelling to rehearsals or touring with an orchestra, it’s only natural to worry about the safety of your string instrument. Whether it’s a bulky cello or a delicate violin, you can’t always be sure that others are going to take the same care with your instrument as you do. Our Global Travel option can provide up to £300 in cover for damage caused to your purpose-built equipment case on your journey, and best of all, you're covered for 365 days.



As a drummer, we know how integral you are to your band. Keeping time but also giving it all at your performances, the role of a drummer is vital. That's why it's important that your drum set and any kit that you own, is protected so that you and your bandmates never miss a beat. Our insurance can provide cover for both amateurs and professional musicians, so take a look at what our policies can offer you.



Do you enjoy chilling out with your acoustic, or are you an expert with an electric? No matter the type of guitar your own and play, or your playing ability, musicGuard insurance can help keep your prized guitar protected. Guitars can be easily damaged when you travel with them, that's why our policies include cover such as, Theft and Accidental Damage, In-Vehicle Cover and the option of 365 days of Global Travel Cover.



Keyboards are a great instrument for a budding musician but they are also popular with professionals too. No matter what your level of expertise is, we are serious about providing you with the right level of protection. Our policies include cover for Theft and Accidental Damage, Public Liability, Loss of Earnings and more. So take a look at our policies and see what we can do for you.

Woodwind instruments

Woodwind instruments

Whether it’s the clarinet, the flute, or the oboe, we can cover every member of the woodwind family. It doesn’t matter if you play in your spare time or if you’re a concert professional, our insurance can provide the protection you need. So if you’re worried about the safety of your woodwind instruments while you're travelling or if you're concerned about damage sustained closer to home, our cover can help put your mind at ease.

Frequently asked questions about music insurance

Want to find out more about our music cover?

If you’re wondering what our music insurance includes, then we’ve answered a few questions here!

Public Liability (also referred to as personal liability or Third Party Liability) provides cover for any music-related legal liability that results in an injury to someone or damage to their property and where you are held liable.

For more information on our Public Liability cover for musicians and what Public Liability cover can protect you against, you can consult our policy wording here.

Many venue owners may require musicians to have Public Liability insurance before they can play gigs. Public Liability insurance can cover you if you were to hurt someone or damage their property while you’re performing and for which you are then held liable.

When you are insuring your instruments; the policy would have to be in one person's name and this person would automatically get £1million of Public Liability. For an additional premium you can increase your Public Liability cover to £5million or £10million and include up to four additional band or group members who help support you in your music.

Unfortunately, we are unable to cover any mobile or smart phones on our music insurance.

Our musical insurance is provided on an annual basis, we do not offer any cover on a short term or temporary basis.

Any offer we make to you will be determined by the features and specification of the insured item claimed for. This is based on the current market equivalent for products of a similar quality and specification and not the original cost of the item.

Our Mechanical Breakdown option provides cover for repair costs to electrical instruments and equipment that you purchased from new, are no more than five years old and are outside of any other warranty. Unfortunately, we are unable to cover laptops, tablets, desktop computing equipment and related accessories with this cover option.

For items that can be readily replaced with a new one (or with a similar model), the value should be the usual, undiscounted cost including VAT from a reputable retailer at the time you apply.

Yes, our policy can cover pre-booked music related loss of earnings that are as a direct result of bodily injury caused by an accident that prevents you from attending either: your music-related profession, events, or any lessons.

We can cover up to £800 or 75% of pre-booked music-related events that you are no longer able to attend. Please refer to your policy wording for full terms and conditions.

The minimum age for the main policyholder is 18. Public Liability and Personal Accident cover (if you have chosen to include this on your policy) will only apply to anyone aged 16 or over at the time of any incident, and total permanent disablement cover is only available for anyone aged 65 or under.

If you need to cover your instruments at more than one address, please call our contact centre on: 0333 004 3888

We can then look to update the policy accordingly dependent on the policy and security requirements.

As the insurance policy is a legal agreement between us and the policyholder, we can only set up a policy with the person who will be named as the policyholder.

You can choose to pay in full by credit or debit card. Alternatively, you can take advantage of our interest free monthly payment option and simply spread the payments out, without any additional cost.

Yes, you can make changes to your policy by simply logging in to your online account here, or by getting in touch with our contact centre by either:

You can add or delete insured items and change some aspects of your policy. Note that additions will incur additional costs. Additional premiums are charged on a pro rata basis from the date of change. Any cover options that you choose can only be added or removed when you first buy the policy or at renewal.

All insured items claims are subject to the following excess unless otherwise stated on your insurance schedule:

  • Cover for Insured Items - Excess payable = £75
  • Mechanical Breakdown for Insured Items - Excess payable = £75
  • Public Liability Property Claims - Excess payable = £500
  • Public Liability Injury Claims - Excess payable = Nil

For Public Liability claims, the first £500 of each claim arising from damage to third party property.

You need to tell us about any music related losses or claims you have had within the last three years whether insured or not. It is important that you make an honest disclosure of any previous claims or losses, as if not this could invalidate your cover.

This depends on the options you choose. Included as standard with your policy, you are covered to take your musical instruments anywhere in the UK and up to 30 days worldwide in total during your period of insurance. If you need more extensive cover, you can choose our Global Travel option, which will extend your worldwide cover for the full policy period.

Whilst in transit, and under the responsibility of your transport provider, your gear isn’t covered if it is stolen and accidental damage cover only applies if your musical instruments are in a purpose-built storage case.

Provided your musical instruments are in a rigid-bodied, purpose designed equipment case, they are covered for accidental damage. We regret that loss of baggage containing your instruments or theft of an insured item whilst under the responsibility of a transport provider is not covered with musicGuard.

At your insured location (This is where your instruments are usually kept and should also be your main place of residence or your music business premises or studio): For cover to apply while your instruments are at your insured location, the insured items must be kept within the main structures (must be brick or stone built) of your insured location and all normal security protections are in force.

Cover in an unattended vehicle: Theft or attempted theft from a vehicle will only be covered if your insured item is stored out of sight, in an enclosed storage compartment, boot or luggage space. All vehicle doors and windows must be closed and securely locked, and all vehicle security systems activated.

All insured items need to be removed and stored inside your insured location when your vehicle is at your insured location. In-vehicle cover does not apply when the vehicle is at your insured location.

Accidental damage that occurs in a vehicle is only covered if the insured item is in a purpose-designed equipment case. If your musical instruments are in transit with an airline transport provider, see the FAQ relating to airline cover.

For any theft claims, whether at your insured location, storage location or from a vehicle, you need to report the incident to the police and there must be evidence of forcible and/or violent entry or evidence of unauthorised access.

Making a claim with musicGuard

We’ve made making a claim so easy

If your music equipment has been stolen or damaged, we know how distressing it can be. That's why we'll do everything possible to deal with your claim promptly. Our easy-to-use claims process is listed below with some helpful information regarding what to do if you need to make a claim.

1. Call the police

If you’ve been the victim of theft or malicious damage, then your first port of call should be to inform the police.

2. Contact our claims team

Contact our in-house UK team to make your claim. You can call us on:
0333 004 1999 to get started, or alternatively, you can email us with details of your claim at:

3. Make your claim

We'll provide you with your claim reference and talk you through the next steps. Should we need any further information to help process your claim, we can explain what's needed and support you.


Your policy document explorer

For customers whose policy started before 1st January 2021, you can access your policy documents here.

Existing customers: If you have an existing policy before September 23rd 2019, then you can contact our team for information on your policy.

You can email us at: or call us on: 0333 004 3888

musicGuard customers say this...

We pride ourselves on delivering a personal service to every musician that we help protect. You don't have to take our word for it though, check out some of our independent reviews to see what our customers have to say! If you'd like to leave your opinion, good or bad we encourage you to submit a review too.