Public Liability for bands

Helping protect you and your band against third party claims


Public Liability for musicians and bands

What is Public Liability insurance for bands?

Public Liability insurance can protect you and up to four members of your band against the cost of third party claims of injury or damage to third party property. So, if you choose either our standalone policy or if you extend your cover to include our £5million or £10million Public Liability cover, you can protect up to four members of your band. You may find that some venue owners won't let musicians play unless they're adequately insured, so take a look at what our cover can do for you today.

Why is Public Liability insurance for bands important?

Public Liability insurance is important for bands and musicians because many venues require bands to have Public Liability insurance before they’re even allowed to play. Public Liability cover can give your band the protection you need when you take to the stage.

No band wants to have a disappointing gig. The danger with playing in public is that you never know what could happen and what might go wrong. What if an audience member hurt themselves? What if an amp or part of your equipment fell and injured somebody? If someone were to point the blame at you and your band, there could be serious consequences.

With our specialist cover for musicians’ instruments and equipment, we provide up to £1million of Public Liability cover as standard and also offer the choice to extend your cover to £5million or £10million for you and up to four of your band members. Alternatively, you can choose our stand-alone Public Liability policy which will cover you and up to four band members for up to £5million or £10million.

What does Public Liability insurance cover my band against?

Public Liability can cover you if a claim is brought by a member of the public if they suffer an injury, or incur damage to their property, as a result of your music-related activity.

When you and your band are performing to a crowd of people, you’ll want to make sure that you can play without worrying about what might go wrong. Our Public Liability insurance will cover potentially extensive legal costs as a result of legal action being taken against you for music-related incidents where there is a third party injury or property damage. Cover does not apply in North America.

We have the following options when it comes to Public Liability:

Public Liability cover with cover for your instruments and equipment: Up to £1million of Public Liability cover as standard when you insure any equipment. This will only cover the policyholder and not any band members.

It's also important to understand that our Public Liability and Personal Accident cover does not cover: Up to £1million of Public Liability cover as standard when you insure any equipment. This will only cover the policyholder and not any band members.

Optional £5million or £10million Public Liability cover: Choose to extend your Public Liability cover to £5million or £10million and then, at no extra cost, include up to four fellow band or group members who work or perform alongside you.

Public Liability only: You can select to take £5million or £10million Public Liability as a standalone policy, without insuring any of your equipment if you prefer. Again, this option allows you to include up to four fellow band or group members who work or perform alongside you.

It's also important to understand that our Public Liability and Personal Accident cover does not cover:

  • Any liability or accident where the incident has arisen or is being held liable in North America.
  • Any liability or accident that has not been caused through your use or ownership of musical equipment.

Frequently asked questions about Public Liability

Want to find out more about our Public Liability cover?

If you’re wondering what our Public Liability insurance includes, then we’ve answered a few questions here!

Public Liability (also referred to as personal liability or Third Party Liability) provides cover for any music-related legal liability that results in an injury to someone or damage to their property. At musicGuard, you can extend your Public Liability cover to include up to four band members and fellow musicians.

For more information on our Public Liability cover for musicians and what Public Liability cover can protect you against, you can consult our policy wording here.

Many venue owners may require musicians to have Public Liability insurance before they can play gigs. Public Liability insurance can cover you if you were to hurt someone or damage their property while you’re performing and for which you are then held liable.

When you are insuring your instruments; the policy would have to be in one person's name and this person would automatically get £1million of Public Liability. For an additional premium you can increase your Public Liability cover to £5million or £10million and include up to four additional band or group members who help support you in your music.

Unfortunately, we are unable to cover any mobile or smart phones on our music insurance.

Our musical insurance is provided on an annual basis, we do not offer any cover on a short term or temporary basis.

Any offer we make to you will be determined by the features and specification of the insured item claimed for. This is based on the current market equivalent for products of a similar quality and specification and not the original cost of the item.

Our Mechanical Breakdown option provides cover for repair costs to electrical instruments and equipment that you purchased from new, are no more than five years old and are outside of any other warranty. Unfortunately, we are unable to cover laptops, tablets, desktop computing equipment and related accessories with this cover option.

For items that can be readily replaced with a new one (or with a similar model), the value should be the usual, undiscounted cost including VAT from a reputable retailer at the time you apply.

Yes, our policy can cover pre-booked music related loss of earnings that are as a direct result of bodily injury caused by an accident that prevents you from attending either: your music-related profession, events, or any lessons.

We can cover up to £800 or 75% of pre-booked music-related events that you are no longer able to attend. Please refer to your policy wording for full terms and conditions.

The minimum age for the main policyholder is 18. Public Liability and Personal Accident cover (if you have chosen to include this on your policy) will only apply to anyone aged 16 or over at the time of any incident, and total permanent disablement cover is only available for anyone aged 65 or under.

If you need to cover your instruments at more than one address, please call our contact centre on: 0333 004 3888

We can then look to update the policy accordingly dependent on the policy and security requirements.

As the insurance policy is a legal agreement between us and the policyholder, we can only set up a policy with the person who will be named as the policyholder.

You can choose to pay in full by credit or debit card. Alternatively, you can take advantage of our interest free monthly payment option and simply spread the payments out, without any additional cost.

Yes, you can make changes to your policy by simply logging in to your online account here, or by getting in touch with our contact centre by either:

You can add or delete insured items and change some aspects of your policy. Note that additions will incur additional costs. Additional premiums are charged on a pro rata basis from the date of change. Any cover options that you choose can only be added or removed when you first buy the policy or at renewal.

All insured items claims are subject to the following excess unless otherwise stated on your insurance schedule:

  • Cover for Insured Items - Excess payable = £75
  • Mechanical Breakdown for Insured Items - Excess payable = £75
  • Public Liability Property Claims - Excess payable = £500
  • Public Liability Injury Claims - Excess payable = Nil

For Public Liability claims, the first £500 of each claim arising from damage to third party property.

You need to tell us about any music related losses or claims you have had within the last three years whether insured or not. It is important that you make an honest disclosure of any previous claims or losses, as if not this could invalidate your cover.

This depends on the options you choose. Included as standard with your policy, you are covered to take your musical instruments anywhere in the UK and up to 30 days worldwide in total during your period of insurance. If you need more extensive cover, you can choose our Global Travel option, which will extend your worldwide cover for the full policy period.

Whilst in transit, and under the responsibility of your transport provider, your gear isn’t covered if it is stolen and accidental damage cover only applies if your musical instruments are in a purpose-built storage case.

Provided your musical instruments are in a rigid-bodied, purpose designed equipment case, they are covered for accidental damage. We regret that loss of baggage containing your instruments or theft of an insured item whilst under the responsibility of a transport provider is not covered with musicGuard.

At your insured location (This is where your instruments are usually kept and should also be your main place of residence or your music business premises or studio): For cover to apply while your instruments are at your insured location, the insured items must be kept within the main structures (must be brick or stone built) of your insured location and all normal security protections are in force.

Cover in an unattended vehicle: Theft or attempted theft from a vehicle will only be covered if your insured item is stored out of sight, in an enclosed storage compartment, boot or luggage space. All vehicle doors and windows must be closed and securely locked, and all vehicle security systems activated.

All insured items need to be removed and stored inside your insured location when your vehicle is at your insured location. In-vehicle cover does not apply when the vehicle is at your insured location.

Accidental damage that occurs in a vehicle is only covered if the insured item is in a purpose-designed equipment case. If your musical instruments are in transit with an airline transport provider, see the FAQ relating to airline cover.

For any theft claims, whether at your insured location, storage location or from a vehicle, you need to report the incident to the police and there must be evidence of forcible and/or violent entry or evidence of unauthorised access.


Your policy document explorer

For customers whose policy started before 1st January 2021, you can access your policy documents here.

Existing customers: If you have an existing policy before September 23rd 2019, then you can contact our team for information on your policy.

You can email us at: or call us on: 0333 004 3888

musicGuard customers say this...

We pride ourselves on delivering a personal service to every musician that we help protect. You don't have to take our word for it though, check out some of our independent reviews to see what our customers have to say! If you'd like to leave your opinion, good or bad we encourage you to submit a review too.