Got a question about our cover?


Choose a topic below to find out the most frequently asked questions.

What is the minimum/maximum age to get cover?

The minimum age we can insure is 18. Public Liability and Personal Accident cover will only apply to anyone aged 16 or over at the time of any incident, and total permanent disablement cover is only available for anyone aged 65 or under.

Can the band be insured/covered as a whole entity, i.e. can the four members of the band be joint policy holders, with no one person being solely the policy holder?

When you are insuring the equipment; the policy would have to be in one band member's name and this person would automatically get £1million of Public Liability. For an additional premium you can increase Public Liability cover to £5million and include up to 4 additional band members in the £5m Public Liability cover.

Do you cover computers, laptops or software?

Yes, computers and laptops can be covered if their primary purpose is for your music-related activity.

Computers, laptops and software arent included under Mechanical Breakdown cover.

Do you only cover UK residents?

Yes. You must be a UK resident and domiciled in the UK.

Is there an excess on this policy?

All insured items claims are subject to the following excess unless otherwise stated on your insurance schedule:

Cover for Insured Items - Excess Payable: £75
Mechanical Breakdown for Insured Items - Excess Payable: £75
Public Liability Property claims - Excess Payable: £500
Public Liability Injury claims - Excess Payable: Nil

How can I pay for my policy?

You can choose to pay in full by credit or debit card. Alternatively, you can take advantage of our interest free monthly payment option and simply spread the payments out, without any additional cost.

I have previously made a claim. Will this affect my cover?

You need to tell us about any music related losses or claims you have had within the last three years whether insured or not. It is important that you make an honest disclosure of any previous claims or losses, as if not this could invalidate your cover.

How do you determine a like for like basis? Should the item not be repairable?

Any offer we make to you will be determined by the features and specification of the insured item claimed for. This is based on the current market equivalent for products of a similar quality and specification and not the original cost of the item.

Do you cover any music-related Loss of Earnings?

Yes, our policy can cover loss of earnings that are as a direct result of bodily injury caused by an accident that prevents you from attending either: your music-related profession, events or any lessons.

Per 7-day period, we will cover either:

• Up to £800
• Or 75% of your pre-accident earnings (whichever is lesser)

For up to 42 days after the date of your accident. Unfortunately, we do not cover loss of earnings from illness, or injury arising from either sickness, disease or disorder.

Please refer to your Policy Wording for full terms and conditions.

Can I add or make changes to the policy at any time?

Yes, if youre a customer incepted after 23rd September 2019, you can make changes to your policy by simply logging in to your on-line account here, by calling us on:  0333 004 3888, or by emailing us at: support@guardcover.co.uk.

You can add or delete insured items and change some aspects of your policy. Note that additions will incur additional costs. Additional premiums are charged on a pro rata basis from the date of change. Any cover options that you choose can only be added or removed when you first buy the policy or at renewal.

If you bought your policy before 23rd September 2019 please call us on 0333 004 3888 or email us on support@guardcover.co.uk.

If I choose the Mechanical Breakdown option, is all of my equipment covered?

Our Mechanical Breakdown provides cover for electrical instruments & equipment, as well as all types of guitars, purchased from new, up to 5 years old and outside of any other warranty. Unfortunately, we are unable to cover any technology items for mechanical breakdown.

Do you cover mobile phones?

Unfortunately, we are unable to cover any mobile or smart phones.

Do you supply one-off cover for a single event or can I get insurance for just a few days or weeks?

Our insurance is provided on an annual basis - we do not offer any cover on a short term or temporary basis.

Can I set up a policy on behalf of someone else?

As the insurance policy is a legal agreement between us and the policyholder, we can only set up a policy with the person who will be named as the policyholder.

What is Public Liability cover?

Public Liability (also referred to as personal liability or Third Party Liability) provides cover for any music-related legal liability that results in an injury to someone or damage to their property.

For more information on our Public Liability cover for musicians and what Public Liability cover can protect you against, you can consult our policy wording here.

Can you cover two addresses at the same policy?

If you need to cover your instruments at more than one address, please call our contact centre on: 0333 004 3888 and we can look to update the policy accordingly, dependant on the policy and security requirements.

What value should I insure my equipment for?

For items that can be readily replaced with a new one (or with a similar model), the value should be the usual, undiscounted cost including VAT from a reputable retailer at the time you apply.For vintage and rare equipment you need a specific valuation from a reputable source, that is not more than 12 months old. You will then need to obtain a new valuation every three years, to take into account any market changes in value during the period of insurance.

Are there any security requirements for my vehicle or where the equipment is kept?

Requirements: At your insured location (where your equipment is usually kept, which should also be your main place of residence or your music business premises or studio)
For cover to apply whilst your items are at your insured location, please be aware that your items must be kept within the main structures of your insured location.

Requirements: Cover in an unattended vehicle
Theft or attempted theft from a vehicle will only be covered if your insured item is stored out of sight, in an enclosed storage compartment, boot or luggage space. All vehicle doors and windows must be closed and securely locked, and all vehicle security systems activated.

All insured items need to be removed and stored when your vehicle is at your insured location. In-vehicle cover does not apply when the vehicle is at your insured location.

Accidental damage that occurs in a vehicle is only covered if the insured item is in a purpose-designed equipment case. If your equipment is in transit with an airline transport provider, see the FAQ relating to airline cover.

For any theft claims, whether at your insured location, storage location or from a vehicle, you need to report the incident to the police and there must be evidence of forcible and/or violent entry or evidence of unauthorised access.

Am I covered to take my equipment abroad?

This depends on the options you choose. Included as standard with your policy, you are covered anywhere in the UK and up to 30 days worldwide in total during your period of insurance. If you need more extensive cover, you can choose our Global Travel option, which will extend your worldwide cover for the full policy period.

Accidental damage to your instruments and equipment is only covered if your equipment is kept in a purpose designed case during your trip overseas.

I am travelling on an airline, am I covered?

Provided the equipment is in a rigid-bodied purpose designed equipment case, it is covered for accidental damage. We regret that loss of baggage containing your equipment or theft of an insured item whilst under the responsibility of a transport provider is not covered with musicGuard.